Monday, May 16, 2011

Julia Roberts on Not Doing Many Romantic Comedies

Julia Roberts on Not Doing Many Romantic Comedies

At 43, Julie Roberts is still a "pretty woman" -- but she's not interested in the kind of roles that first made her famous.

"I think it’s called growing up," Roberts tells W magazine about why she's been moving away from traditional romantic comedies. "Light and funny has a more compelling quality when you’re younger. But I haven’t abandoned the genre: I love falling down; I love Lucille Ball. It’s just that a lot of those stories revolve around problems that I can’t convincingly portray at this age."

That doesn't mean that Roberts would like to be young again. Although she was only 21 when she achieved superstardom with Pretty Woman, the Oscar winner thinks it "would be awful to be a young actress today. "

"The business was different then," she explains. "It was a less loud, in-your-face sort of business... Back in the good old days, before e-mail, you could decide how you wanted to be, how you wanted to define yourself."

And as a married mother of three, Roberts is still finding new ways to define herself. "In your forties, you're supposed to learn new things so your brain doesn't turn to mush," she tells W. To that end, she's taken up two new hobbies: sewing and piano.

"I did actually start taking sewing classes recently," she declares. "I can wear what I've sewn, if I'm not in a strong wind. And I'm taking piano lessons with my kids."

As for the memories of her romantic comedy days, Roberts still treasures them -- and looks forward to passing them on.

"I did get to keep the wedding dresses from Runaway Bride. They're all boxed up in my garage," she admits. "It'll be fun one day when Hazel is taller. She can play dress-up with her friends."

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/julia-roberts-not-doing-many-romantic-comedies/1-a-350042

Christina Applegate Christina DaRe Christina Milian Christina Ricci Chyler Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment